Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What's In a Name?

It should be witty. It should be straightforward, mirror my personality, reflect my passions and be mysterious enough that people will want to read on.

Maybe to a lesser degree but certainly significant enough, I toiled over what the name of my blog would be the same way parents might toil over what to name a newborn. After talking myself away from a name that would prove my unyielding love for my hometown of Brooklyn, New York (and show that although I've lived in the South for years, I am still in fact a Yankee), I decided on a line from a short but thought-provoking poem by the great Langston Hughes. As I said, the poem is short, so I won't write or summarize it for you. I will however tell you that for being so straightforward and simple Impasse stirred something in me.

So, what's in a name? We live in a fast-pace, instant gratification society. We live in times where people feel incomplete if they can't immediately share with hundreds of friends, what they ate for dinner (Dexter wants you to know that he doesn't need Outback because his wife can make bloomin' onions), their unmet desires (Bobby wants to see Transformers), and their team loyalty (Gerard wants everyone to GEAUX TIGERS!). I appreciate the good facebook status update and am even guilty of posting a few updates a day myself. Truthfully though, I only care what you ate for dinner if it was the bomb and you're about to share the recipe. I only care that you want to see Transformers if there is some significant life factor that is preventing you from getting up and going to the movies. And, I only care about your sports team if it happens to be mine too. This is the beauty of our time...we can choose what to share and what to keep private, we can do it as quickly or slowly as we want, and, people can choose to be interested or not care at all.

So, what's in a name? I still don't know the answer to that question and actually have no desire to come up with a clever response. However, I'll use this blog as an extended facebook status of sorts. When I eat the bomb dinner, if I want to tell you, I will. When I see a great movie (or just really want to), I'll let you know. Or, when my team wins or loses, I'll celebrate with or vent to you. There will probably be some more serious posts too...commentary on the state of the world (revolution in Iran), opinions on a stupid decision made by a politician (hmmm, Governor Sanford of SC), and thoughts on major societal issues like teen pregnancy (did anyone see that Primetime special last night?). The point is "i could tell you if i wanted to..." and occassionally I will. The great news is that you could choose to not "give a damn." READ THE POEM!

No comments:

Post a Comment